Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thing 11 – FlickR

Flickr is a pretty neat invention of sharing photos and utilizing them for further developments. I found the site quite easy to navigate through, and find photos I needed. I can see how it can become a little overwhelming, and I would demonstrate where students needed to go, and encourage the finding of photos through searching groups or tags. If you stay within a certain source of photos, it is easier to find what you need faster.

As I was looking through these photos, and contemplating how I can use these with my students, I thought of projects. Photos are a way to help students see math visibly. I could assign them a simple journal entry to find a picture that demonstrates math, and what kind, define and reflect on this finding. Or I could get more detailed and have them in groups creating wiki’s. The neat thing is photos can be embedded online almost anywhere in Web 2.0. How will you utilize photos? Do you have any other suggestions for math?

I chose the following two photos that interested me; they could be used for students to reflect on in a journal entry about what mathematics they see in the picture, and why it is important to know these qualities of math.

By NMC Second Life, http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc-campus/249565073/














2 comments:

  1. We had a teacher use photos to show slope and then create a Comic Life strip. The kids loved searching for pictures that would show what they needed. It was a different way to teach a concept the kids sometimes have trouble with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supplementing lessons with the photos and analyzing and applying concepts this way will so captivate the students. Love your idea about the
    students finding the pic that demonstrates math and for them to define it, apply it, and write a reflection of their thinking process. Tactile learners will love this!
    http://techylearningmawmaw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete