Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thing 8 Wiki's Intro

I looked at the following three wikis closely: the Flat Classroom Project, Math 12V Outcomes Portfolio, and Schools in the Past

The Flat Classroom was very well done, and not difficult to understand. I think the layout was easy to follow. They had links to all of the important details of their project, and how it progressed. The collaboration among students across the globe eventually made it to holding a conference to come up with more projects. I liked how sophisticated the wiki was, and how easy it was to understand. I don’t think I would change anything about this site. I really like how it has gone beyond the internet; from their collaboration, students are completing real projects as an outcome.

Math 12V Outcomes Portfolio looked like a pretty simple wiki. I liked how the TEKS were assigned from the different links, and to see what the students did for each one was interesting. I may add student input to each project or problem, and have them answer one another’s questions and decide together if the problems work, or not, and refer questions to me after trying problems.

Schools in the Past was an interesting wiki. At first I was a little confused about the organization, but then I figured it out. For the sake of easiness, and ability to scan through, the titles for each part of school should be links on the side of the wiki, so they are easy to answer to, and one does not need to scroll through the list to find the one they want. This would guarantee easier access, and maybe more replies.

In my first wiki experience, I have found that wiki’s are an integrated, sophisticated place to share information, if they are set up in the correct fashion. I may see a wiki being created for each lesson I teach with my students, and have them work collaboratively with me on the project. I’m not sure exactly how or what my focus would be on, whether it would be reflections on the lessons, or example problems they create that I include on tests, or working with someone to make up problems based on what we just learned. There are plenty of options, and it may also be possible to do all I have just mentioned. The only thing it needs is good planning and organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment