Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thing 17 – Podcasting


I thought the podcasts over math were really neat. They present a different way to examine mathematical ideas and problems. I really liked the http://www.mathgrad.com/ which gave an example of how to solve a rubix cube by looking at the pattern of the math in the rubix cube puzzle. I liked this podcast, because it demonstrates mathematical problems that people encounter everyday. I could use this podcast to show students concepts that we are working with in class. It will help them by seeing a different way to understand the problem, and hearing the same concept explained by someone else to give them another point of view. I think this is very important in math, as students need to realize there is more than one way to solve a problem, and also to learn the math.



The podcast from http://mathfactor.uark.edu/ is similar. I like it because it has at least two speakers discuss problems, and walk through how to do them. I like their collaborative approach, as it models for students how to discuss and solve problems while talking through them.



The last podcast I looked at, http://www.dansmath.com/pages/podpage.html

did not intrigue me very much. The speaker didn’t seem to get to the math soon enough. He spoke a lot about what was occurring with him, which was not my goal in listening to the podcast.



I have not used podcasting in the classroom, but I will link podcasts to my moodle, so students can listen, and reflect on what they hear. Podcasts will be good to integrate with these two tasks, listening, and then writing, so students and I can see their thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment