Friday, July 16, 2010

Thing 18 – Video Share. Do YouTube? I do!

Math song on Linear graphing:



YouTube is so full of videos, it is unbelievable what we can do with technology. I can use this to share ideas and concepts with my students in lessons, to take a brief break in their practicing to watch another way to approach the problem. Videos can also be shared in blogs, and online in my moodle. I can have students watch a video from YouTube or teachertube, and they can write a reflection on what they gained, or found helpful in their learning. I know they won’t be able to see these videos at school, so I would give them a longer amount of time to get to the assignment, and see the video on their own time.

I found several videos on how to do “5 second math” and frankly, the idea is really neat, but now my task is to derive or find out how the author discovered those patterns, and broke the code of why those simple ways work. I know it starts out with the fact that the only numbers we work with are the ones in our base 10 system. My strength is not arithmetic, and these concepts are very interesting. I would just like to know how, and where those tricks came from. I am sure the pattern is simple. I will be contemplating this for a while…

See one of his videos below:



Videos are really helpful in learning since they are a mix of verbal, and visual, and on YouTube, you can find the same topic explained, used, or presented from many different points of view, which is helpful in forming an understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment