Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thing # 22 – Facebook, social networking

It is important for educators to know how social networking operates due to relating with their students. Our students use social networking countless times a day, and this has impact on their lives. If we can incorporate these networks into our lessons, and connect them with our subjects, students will feel engaged.


I have been using facebook since it started when I was in college. The site is a time consumer, as it is basically a personal blogging site with all the whistles added on. It also enables information to be given at lightening speed, which can affect student’s lives. We need to be aware of this, and understand the source of cyberspace, and where it is originating.


I like facebook because you can stay connected with people you normally would not talk to. I am friends with people I knew in elementary school, and keep up with them through the site. I also keep tabs with people I went to college with, and my family. The reason I don’t like facebook because it consumes time when face-to-face conversations are much more valuable. It seems to degrade our methods of communicating. It is also a place where people may gain information that you would not wish for people you not close with to see, which is why the privacy filters are appreciated. I am on facebook, but have a hidden profile to those who do not have any connection with me. I am not very fond of the social network, so I appreciate the privacy.



LinkedIn has the most useful features in networking with people on a professional level. It is easy to find co-workers, and see who they know, put your resume online, so people can give, or request advice from you. Then you can find other people who know others in your professional field, and possibly some who aren’t, but relate to what you do.


This link connects to my profile for LinkedIn.


The only educational application I can see is a pursuit of professional development using LinkIn, and staying connected with colleagues, and staff members on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment